Thursday, August 12, 2010

Farmer Miles

So, anyone who know Miles, knows about his intense love for fruits and "beggies". He is obsessed with the produce section at the supermarket. I can never checkout at the grocery store without having to explain why there are bites missing from my cucumbers. When you ask him what he wants for his birthday, he says a bell pepper. His favorite activity on the planet is picking fruit or plucking vegetables from a garden.



For his third birthday we got him a little garden set from one of my teaching catalogs. One side of the garden was made of plexiglass, so that the child can see and learn about root systems. We planted carrot, onion and radish seeds. After months of watering, our seeds were finally turning into veggies. Everyday Miles campaigned to pick his veggies. Day after day I reassured him that they were still growing and needed more time. He finally convinced me to let him pick one radish. He wanted to bring his radish and garden to school for show and tell. I pulled his garden down off the table and let him pick his radish. He was positively beaming with pride as he held his teeny tiny little radish.



The next day I brought the garden and the radish to his classroom for his show and tell. I walked in and saw him chatting with his friends over a snack of Teddy Grahams and juice. The moment he saw me standing there, he got completely red faced. He was bashful and wouldn't make eye contact. He acted totally embarrassed that I was there. Apparently, even three year olds understand the importance of maintaining one's street cred. Mrs. Carroll finally convinced him to stand up and talk about his garden. He answered questions and passed his garden around the circle.



That night he asked if HE could "make" dinner. I agreed. That night our dinner consisted of chicken nuggets, cantaloupe and a radish. He was a very satisfied little farmer.

No comments:

Post a Comment