Monday, August 10, 2009

"I Pooped On My Nose"



Let me start by saying, I hope this is the grossest tale I ever tell. So, Aidan was finishing a session with his developmental specialist, Ms. Lyndsey, when I noticed that he was in need of a diaper change. He laid down on the couch, as I sat down with diapering supplies in hand. Before I could open the velcro sides of his pull-up, he reached down and slid his pull-up down. He didn't just slide it down, but in one swift move, he pulled it down and pulled his feet out, flinging the diaper and it's contents into the air. The entire diaper kung fu move happened in a fraction of a second. It was as if time were moving in slow motion. The diaper flew through the air and so did a golf ball size lump of poo. Unfortunately for Aidan, the diaper landed on the couch, and the poo landed squarely on his nose, and it stuck there! Lyndsey, Aidan and I were all stunned, like deer in headlights. Aidan looked at me with terror in his little eyes and waived his skinny little limbs around as he screamed, "uuhhh, Mama, uhhhh". I snapped out of my stupor and quickly cleaned him up. Lyndsey and I both looked at each other, as we searched the corners of our brains, desperately trying to find the appropriate response. We both wanted to laugh, but we knew that wasn't quite the right response. We were both speechless. We smiled and chuckled as if to say, "I got nothin". The thing is, there just is no proper protocol for poop on a nose, the average person just has no point of reference, and let me say I am, glad for that.

After cleaning Aidan up, we said good-bye to Ms. Lyndsey. A few minutes later, the other boys came downstairs, along with their Grammy who had been visiting from California. Aidan skipped over to the baby gate to greet them and said, "Gwammy, I pooped on my nose!" in a very enthusiastic, yet matter of fact tone of voice. Again, you can search your brain, but there just is no proper response to that statement.

As I sit here typing, I still can't stop laughing....and it was a week ago. At least I'm not alone. Lyndsey, returned the next week and told me that she kept laughing and telling the parents of her other clients the whole rest of the day. She just couldn't stop herself.

1 comment:

  1. I am still laughing at this! I saw the pull-up fling from his feet.. saw you turn quickly to get a hold of his legs.. looked at his little butt hoping none of the contents smeared on the couch.. DIDN'T see anything on his little butt.. glanced over at his face and there it was..... the "golf ball size lump of poo" had landed square on Aidan's nose! As you grabbed a wipe and picked up the "golf ball size lump of poo" we looked at each other- not a peep.. I will always remember the story of silly little Aidan and the "golf ball size lump of poo" and then his testament of "I pooped on my nose!" I am so thankful for having the opportunity to be apart of their lives!

    ReplyDelete