So recently Mr. Aidan has taken an interest in potty training. I haven't been pushing it. I've just been letting him tell me when he's ready to go. When he does go, he gets a mini marshmallow and "underwear". The reason I say "underwear", is because what he is really wearing are Pull-Ups training diapers. He hasn't had an opportunity to wear real, full fledged, big boy underwear because, well, they don't make them for children 3-6 months old. Yes, I know that he is two and a half, but try telling that to his teeny tiny little butt. He is still only 20lbs and wears 3-6 shorts. To help give some perspective, our one year old baby is already 6.5lbs bigger than his big brother. I have searched high and low and the smallest size I can find is 2T. So I bought some hoping that I'd be able to shrink them in the wash, but no luck. They still fell to his ankles, like a cartoon character who forgot his suspenders. Lucky for us, his Grammy offered to do a little tailoring to his elmo clad, tighty-whiteys. He should be in his new underoos in a few days.
I know potty training is full of ups and downs, triumphs and accidents. Let me just state for the record, that Aidan has actually been doing a great job with the whole pee-pee thing. He is enthusiastic and patient. He is more than happy to try to go 100 times a day. And when he is successful and is rewarded with a pair of "underwear", he is so proud that rarely ever puts is pants back on, because he wants everyone to his underwear badge of honor.
Here are a few stories so far.
He discovered the word, privacy, so now he won't let anyone wait in the bathroom. They have to close the door and wait outside because, "I need pwivacy".
He is having a hard time understanding the guidelines for each potty time scenario. He knows it's not supposed to go in his diaper, but sometimes he isn't quite sure where it's supposed to go.
-One day Aidan and Luca were playing downstairs, while I sat on the couch reading. Suddenly, I hear Luca giggling uncontrollably. I looked up and couldn't see them. They were on the opposite side of the island in my kitchen. Aidan had pulled his pants down and peed on my kitchen floor and his baby brother was wildly splashing his hands in the puddle. Ewwww.
-This weekend we got Aidan up from a nap and found his bed was soaked, but he and his pull up were dry. I guess he knew that it wasn't supposed to go in his diaper! A few days later, we got him up and dressed in the morning and stood him up in Miles' crib while we dressed Miles. When we came back to get Aidan, Miles' pillow was soaked. Aidan was quite proud of himself.
-After several discussions about how, "you go pee-pee ON the POTTY!", we thought we were making some headway. Aidan asked if he could go potty one night while I stood in the kitchen making dinner. Since my hands were full, his daddy escorted him. Once in the bathroom, he promptly kicked his daddy out, telling him that he wanted, "pwivacy". A few minutes later I heard the clink of the ceramic toilet. I looked up at Brian and said, "You better go and see what the heck he's doing". Brian was shocked to see Aidan standing up on the lid of the toilet seat, shooting pee all over the walls of the bathroom. He was so proud of himself. I guess he did technically go pee-pee ON the potty.
LOL!!! Never a dull moment huh? I love it!!!
ReplyDelete