Thursday, May 21, 2009

How do you tell them apart?

It's funny how people's minds or maybe it's their hearts let them see what they want to see. When we brought our first baby boy home, everyone said how much he looked like my husband.  Then when we brought Aidan home, a few people told us that he looked like me.  What is mind boggling to me is that to this very day, every time I take them out, people ask me how I tell them apart.  Even if the person knows we adopted them from two different mothers, they still tell me how identical they look.

I guess the question is so puzzling to me because, as a mother you spend so much time adoring and memorizing that little face.  You know every little detail by heart.  But that motherly attention to detail aside, they aren't even the same ethnicity.  The reality is that one boy is brown with slightly slanted eyes and is tiny as can be and the other boy is white with big round brown eyes and has chubby pinchable cheeks.  


Now that Luca is here people are really confused.  Although he is as big as his older brothers, he still has that sparse, wispy baby hair and the waddley stride of a baby who has just learned to walk.  At first glance people usually assume they are triplets.  If they take a closer look, I am usually asked, "How is that possible?".  It doesn't help matters when my husband, Mr. Funny Man, jokingly tells people that they all have different fathers.

We have just accepted the reality that no matter where we go, people are going to stare and smile, or look puzzled as they pass by doing mental math, or nudge their spouse and say, "At least ours weren't that close together".  I guess it just comes with the territory.  And that's okay with us.


2 comments:

  1. I love it! I get that all the time too! Keep blogging . . . I will read and comment too

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is too cool Cher! They called you crazy baby lady???

    ReplyDelete